Crabs, I feel, are hugely underrated – they carry the flavour of the ocean in them and yeah, they are a lot cheaper too. I prefer devouring them at home than in restaurants, where I always fear of flipping it on to someone else on the other table. I’ve had crab meat soup in restaurants a number of times, which is usually a transparent broth with few countable threads of crab meat floating in it. So this time I thought of giving a bit of a twist to my favourite soup where I could actually chew the meat rather than just gulping it down.
Ingredients: Serves 3
Crab meat – 2 cups
Milk – 3 cups
Soup powder – 3 tbsps
Garlic – 2 tbsps finely chopped
Flour – 1/4 cup
Butter – 1/4 cup
White pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Finely chopped spring onions for garnishing
Salt to taste
1. Boil whole crabs, take out the meat and shred.
2. Mix butter and flour lightly with fingers
3. In a heavy-bottomed pot boil milk and add butter and flour and stir gently until blended. This will thicken the milk.
4. Add the soup powder, garlic and stir
5. Add the crab meat, salt and pepper and simmer for 2-3 minutes
6. Garnish with finely chopped spring onions
P.S.: I always prefer fresh crab meat. You can also use the frozen or canned meat.