Tomato rice typically is South Indian Recipe with tangy flavour because of the tomatoes. It used to be a tiffin-regular of my South Indian friend. I remember exchanging my tiffin with hers just so that I could have all of it. This is a simple recipe which mainly consists of rice, tomatoes and red chilli powder. With no exceptional ingredients needed, its very easy to cook and yummy to eat.
I have added my little twist to this one.
Ingredients: Serves – 3
- Cooked Basmati rice – cook 1/2 cup raw basmati or plain rice
- Kashmiri mirchi powder – 3 teaspoons
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Split urad dal – ½ teaspoon
- Asafoetida (hing) – a pinch
- Tomatoes – 2 large
- Green peas – 1/2 cup
- Onions – 3 medium
- Black pepper – 2-3
- Cardamom – 3
- Cinnamon – 1 small stick
- Cloves – 3
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Add asafoetida, and whole garam masala i.e, black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and fry till the whole spices release their aroma.
- Add urad dal and stir.
- Add onions and fry till soft and golden brown.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and stir till aromatic
- Add tomatoes, green peas and fry till soft.
- Add Kashmiri mirchi powder and salt and fry till the mixture releases oil. Leave the lid on and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add this mixture to cooked rice and mix gently with fork till all the mixture gets incorporated with rice. Don’t use spoon here as spoon tends to break the rice.
P.S: Serve with plain yogurt / raita / crispy papad. Once cooled completely, it can be kept in refrigerator up to 4-5 days in air tight container.
If you want a simpler one, you can give the whole spices a miss.