I had peas. I had scallions. And I was awfully bored to cook a detailed meal.
I’m sure, by now I’ve established myself as a super-lazy cook…but, with astute shortcuts to healthy and delicious food 😛
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
2 cups long grain/ basmati rice
A cup of chopped spring onions (scallions)
A cup of frozen / fresh peas
2 cups Vegetable / chicken stock. Normal water will also do
1 cinnamon stick
2 tsps freshly ground black pepper
Oil for frying
Salt to taste
1. Wash and drain the rice. Boil the stock and keep aside
2. Heat oil in a pan, add the scallions and stir
3. Pop in the cinnamon stick and let its flavor release
4. Next, add the rice, peas, salt and pepper and give it a stir
5. Pour in the boiled stock and cook it on a slow flame, lid on
6. Should be done in 10 minutes.
P.S.: Soup cubes are readily available in groceries. Boil the veg/chicken cubes in plain water to make the stock.
They say there are no shortcuts to success. I say, there certainly are a million, when it comes to lazy yet yummy, healthy and comforting meals 🙂