Is there anything as pretty as a Peach this season? I don’t think so. Sitting proudly in all the fruit stalls, this gorgeous, sunset-stained fruit looks as if it’s blushing whenever you pass by.
Coming to nutrition, this good-looking tangy fruit is packed with Vitamin C – a strong antioxidant, Iron and Zinc. Its Beta-carotene is important for healthy eyes and high dietary fiber aids digestion.
When applied tropically, it can reduce wrinkles, improve overall skin texture and help fighting skin damage caused by the sun and pollution.
Peach Melba is mandatory in my kitchen, whenever the fruit arrives in the markets.
Time to do a happy dance, because, making Peach Melba is a shamelessly simple.
8 peaches, halved and destoned
1 cinnamon stick
3 cardamoms (whack gently, just so the pods open up a little)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups sugar
3 cups water
2 tbsps lemon juice
Pinch of salt
1. Put all the ingredients (except peaches) into a wide sauce pan and heat on medium, stirring occasionally, till the sugar dissolves.
2. Bring the pan to boil and let it bubble away for about five minutes. Reduce the flame and let it simmer for another 3-4 minutes.
3. Now, gently slide the peaches into the pan, cut-side down and poach for 4-5 minutes each side on medium heat.
4. Test the cut side with a knife. It should be soft.
5. Poach in batches if all the halves do not fit at one go.
6. Take out the poached fruits with a slotted spoon and leave them on a plate.
7. Peel off their skins and let them cool.
8. Serve with Vanilla / Strawberry ice cream or Raspberry Sauce
P.S.: Refrigerate the syrup in an air-tight jar for poaching later.
So, hurry up and get this beauty home before it makes its final appearance.